ART SHOW PROSPECTUS
Brought to you by the Magic Valley Arts Council, registration will be underway soon for the 10th annual Art & Soul of the Magic Valley. Contest dates are June 26 – July 11, 2020.
Art & Soul of the Magic Valley, a unique community-wide art contest, is a community-wide, public-voting art contest that awards the largest financial prize in the Northwest. In 2019 over 300 artists competed for prize money.
Art Show Prospectus
Cash Awards: $43,000.00 available in cash awards.
- 1st place overall as determined by public vote $12,000
- 2nd place overall as determined by public vote $6,000
- 3rd place overall as determined by public vote $3,000
- 4th place overall as determined by public vote $1,500
- Determined by public vote, $1,000 “Best of Show” award in each of the seventeen (17) categories.
- Show:The show runs from June 26 – July 11, 2020. All entries may remain on display until July 24, 2020. The Awards Ceremony will be July 24, 2020 in Twin Falls City Park (time to be determined).
- Artists: Submit an application, images of work or proposed work and pay an entry fee. This is NOT a juried contest but all artists MUST have both a Sponsor and a Venue in order to compete. Artists who enter with a Sponsor and submit an image of their entry by the February 1, 2020 deadline date are guaranteed a Venue. Sponsors are not guaranteed, therefore, artists are encouraged to enter the contest with a Sponsor. **Registration runs through February 1, 2020.Members of the Magic Valley Arts Council (MVAC) receive a discounted entry fee of $25 (it is only $25 for an Artist Membership with the MVAC), Not-Yet-Members entry fee is $60. REQUIRED: Artists are required to have both a Sponsor and a Venue to be officially entered into the contest. Artists are encouraged to find a Venue for the entry. Making new acquaintances and building relationships is part of the community building experience of the contest. However, the Magic Valley Arts Council’s Art & Soul Organizing Committee recognizes that this may not be possible for every artist, so we guarantee a Venue will be secured for every artist entering the contest with a Sponsor, provided an entry image is received by the due date. An artist who opts to enter the contest without a Sponsor is at risk of being disqualified from the contest as the committee does not guarantee that Sponsors will be secured. * Sponsors & Venues need to be secured for the artist no later than March 7, 2020. Final date for submitting a jpg image of art entry is March 7, 2020. This is the image that will be included in the Limited- Edition Souvenir Program and posted on the website for voters and judges to review.
- LATE REGISTRATION:No entries will be accepted after February 7, 2020. Artist’s Statement (70 words or less) and (preliminary) jpg image of work is due at the time of registration. Registration ends February 1, 2020. This information is necessary for Venues to make their artist(s) selections. The Art & Soul Organizing committee guarantees a Venue only if an entry image is received by the due date.
- Top Prizes: The four artists receiving the most votes overall will receive the top contest prize money. Grand Prize through 4th place are not eligible to receive a “Best of Show” award.
- Professionally Judged Competition: The Professionally Judged Competition may be entered when an artist has entered the general competition. An extra $50 registration fee applies for entry into this competition and can be paid along with your initial registration or anytime up until March 20, 2020. Prize money in this competition will be $2,000. The judges will determine the winners of two-dimensional and three-dimensional categories. First place in each category will receive $1,000 in prize money. Artists who win in the Professionally Judged Competition may also qualify for prize money in the overall general competition.
- Sponsors:Individuals or businesses serving as sponsors must chose work/artists they wish to sponsor by March 7, 2020. For more information on being a sponsor or obtaining a sponsor, see FAQ section.
- Venues: Locations for showing artwork select the work they wish to display from artist entries by March 7, 2020. Prize money is awarded to Venues as well. The public votes to determine the “People’s Choice Venue” and recipient of $150 in two venue categories: Venues displaying 1-3 artists and Venues displaying 3+ artists. The Venue displaying the Grand Prize-1st place contest winner will receive $100, the venue displaying the 2nd place overall contest winner will receive $75, the venue displaying the 3rd place overall contest winner will receive $50 and the venue displaying the 4th place overall contest winner will receive $25. For more information on being a Venue or selecting a Venue see FAQ section.
- Youth Category:The Youth Category contest is for students in Elementary (Grades K-2), Elementary (Grades 3-5), Middle School (Grades 6-8), and High School (Grades 9-12). The entry fee for the youth portion of the contest is $10 and deadline for registration is March 7, 2020. Those artists selecting the Youth Category contest on their entry form will not be eligible for the general contest. Prizes awarded in the Youth Category contest are 1st Place: $100, 2nd Place: $75, 3rd Place: $50, 4th Place: $25 will be awarded in each of the four youth categories Elementary (Grades K-2), Elementary (Grades 3-5), Middle School (Grades 6-8), and High School (Grades 9-12) as selected by public vote. All youth entries will be displayed at the Magic Valley Mall, Twin Falls, ID.
- Voters: The viewing public votes for their seventeen (17) favorite entries, the top 21 artists receive cash prizes from the total prize money available. For more information on how to vote, see voting section.
- Categories:A $1,000 “Best of Show” award given to the artist receiving the most votes in each of 17 categories: Acrylic, Ceramic, Digital, Drawing, Fiber, Glass, Mixed Media, Oil, Photography, Printmaking, Quilt, Sculpture: Large (over 3 ft), Sculpture: Small (3 ft and under), Watermedia, Wearable, Woodwork and Uncategorized (for entries that do not fall neatly into another category. Entry here may help us develop additional categories in the future). Odds of winning are based on the number of entrants in each category. Grand Prize through 4th Place winners, are not eligible to receive a “Best of Show” award. In order for $1,000 to be awarded in a category there must be a minimum of 10 entries in that category. If 5-9 entries are received in a category, then $500 in prize money will be awarded. If 4 or fewer artists are entered in a category, then entries in that category will be moved to the Uncategorized category.
Art & Soul is open to any artist with any type of artwork. Eligibility will be confirmed after receipt of entry fee and obtaining a Sponsor and Venue (for more information on obtaining a Sponsor and Venue, see FAQ section).
Sponsors and Venues need to be registered by February 7, 2020 and need to select their artist by March 7, 2020. Registration for Sponsors and Venues will not be accepted after March 7, 2020. Each artist entry will be posted on this web page after which Sponsors and Venues will review entries and select their artist.
Artists need not be present during the show, but are encouraged to participate. Artists and venues work out logistics of artwork installation by April 6, 2020
Where will the money come from?
- Artist Entry Fee: $25 – $60
- Sponsors $100 – $125
- Venue (location) $125 – $225
- Financial Supports include:
- Patrons who offer gifts of $1,000.00 or more;
- Contributors who offer gifts of $100.00- $999.00;
- Friends of the Arts offer gifts of any size under $100.00.
For more information, contact the Magic Valley Arts Council at 208-734-ARTS (2787).
Magic Valley Arts Council, Twin Falls Center for the Arts, 195 River Vista Place, Twin Falls, ID.
Art & Soul of the Magic Valley is excited to offer $1,000 in cash prizes to 16 Youth Competition winners. Students in grades K-12 are invited to enter! Click for the application.